In order to register your child for the Head Start program, you will need to have the following:
- Proof of income (W-2 or 1040 and most current pay stub)
- Child’s birth certificate
- Social Security Number for parent and child
- Child’s shot record
- Medical or insurance card (if applicable)
- Custody/guardianship information (if applicable)
- Name, address and phone number of Doctor
- Name, address and phone number of Dentist
- Name, address and phone number of two (2) emergency contacts
- Birthdates for all members of the family
- Food stamp case number (found on benefits letter)
2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines
The poverty guidelines are one of two versions of the federal poverty measure. They are issued each year in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The guidelines are a simplification of the poverty thresholds for use for administrative purposes — for instance, determining financial eligibility for certain federal programs. For more information, please contact Portage Learning Centers, or click here.
Head Start Eligibility and Acceptance – Tiered System
All children being enrolled into the Head Start program will have a Selection Criteria sheet completed for their file. All children are enrolled based on their income eligibility category and the points from their selection criteria sheet.
The income categories are:
1. Children at or below 100% of the poverty guidelines. This includes families that receive SSI (either parent or childr being enrolled), those that receive OWF/TANF assistance, homeless families and children in foster care.
Children from this category are enrolled FIRST.
2. Children who are over income guidelines (above 131% of the poverty guidelines) who have a documented disability or a school district IEP.
3. Families with income between 101 – 130% of the poverty guidelines.
These children will only be accepted if spaces exist after children in the first two categories are enrolled.
4. Families with income over 131% of the poverty guidelines.
These children will only be accepted if spaces exist after children in the first three categories are enrolled.
Scheduling an Enrollment
To schedule an appointment to enroll your child in the Head Start Program call Portage Learning Centers’ main office at 330 297-7795 or call the Child Development Center closest to your home.