Programs at Portage Learning Centers
Portage Learning Centers offers Head Start and Early Head Start programs. Our centers understand that children learn by doing. Classrooms are filled with developmentally appropriate educational materials. Children explore and learn through hands-on activities that are both meaningful and of interest to them. They also receive daily meals that meet all USDA requirements.
For additional information, please see the above menu, or contact the main branch of Portage Learning Centers at (330) 297-7795.
Things To Remember
• Children learn best through play. Make sure you dress your child
appropriately for play and be sure to send a change of clothes.
• The best way to reinforce your child’s behavior is to praise often. Use
words like awesome, fantastic, great, super, wow, way to go, neat,
amazing, terrific, and outstanding.
• Head Start/Early Head Start fosters the role of parents as the primary
educators, nurturers, and advocates for their children. Therefore, we
work in close partnership with you to assist in developing and utilizing
individual and family strengths in order to successfully meet personal
and family objectives. You are encouraged to become involved in all
aspects of the program, from participation in your child’s activities to
direct involvement in policy and program decisions.
• Regulations do not permit food or drink of any type to be brought into
our Child Development Centers/classrooms.
• Please notify your Family Advocate or Teacher if you change your
address or telephone number.
• If your child will be absent from school, please call your center or the
PLC main office to report the absence.